News Muse

Musings from the editors of DisciplesWorld magazine on news, religion and whatever else we feel like writing about.

January 03, 2006

Happy Holidays!!

So the DisciplesWorld blog took a little Advent sabbatical. Well, I'm not sure what my other compadres at the magazine were up to, but those closest to me got to hear me ranting often about the latest 'christian' cause - pressuring big-box stores to put the words "Merry Christmas" in their advertising and in the mouths of their greeters and cashiers.

This year, I received a special Christmas gift (pictured at left) from relatives who appreciate my particular brand of Christmas crankiness.

We are called to spread the Good News from our doorsteps to the end of the earth. But expecting retailers to do our evangelism for us further cements the unholy link between the Incarnation and the Shopping Cart Nation.

Perhaps if we all purchased one of these to give to our atheist and Muslim and Jewish and Hindu neighbors....