News Muse

Musings from the editors of DisciplesWorld magazine on news, religion and whatever else we feel like writing about.

August 06, 2006

The Gospel according to Ricky Bobby


Never let it be said that we at DisciplesWorld are "Christ Against Culture" Christians. On Friday night, I went to see "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" (click here to see the trailer). Aside from being a hilarious flick (I realize I'm going against most reviewers' opinions here), it has some great 'religious' moments. Like when Ricky and family are gathered around the dinner table and he begins to say grace. Props to the first pastor who uses THIS film clip in a sermon!

Or after a crash, when Ricky jumps out of his car and runs around the track in his underwear convinced he's on fire: "Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise use your witchcraft to git the fire off me!"

I was worried, being a fan myself, that the movie would be a snobby put-down of NASCAR. But it's not - it's so over-the-top that it goes beyond stereotyping, and there are some jokes, gags and details that NASCAR fans will probably appreciate while non-fans will miss them.

Just one thing: I don't recommend it for kids younger than 15 or 16 due to some pretty crude humor.